February 17, 2009

Purportedly Drunken Japanese Minister Resigns, Aristocracy has a Toast

This is one of those posts where I link to Japanese articles with bigger pictures, that I summed up for language practice (mine and yours).



Shoichi Nakagawa is the sensational story of the past few days, having appeared to be a little drunk at a press conference at G7. He claims it is his meds, but will resign anyways. I think if he would have waited one week, everyone would have forgot, but maybe I underestimate the power of Niconico Douga.
[sad face][Fending off the press][English article]

Meanwhile, the new aristocracy (a manzai duo by the name of Hige Danshyaku, or Bearded Baron) became the spokesmen for a tax return company. Tax forms seem to be blue [*], so that's the reason for their blue drinks. Their catch phrase is "Renaissance!"[article]

So here's a vid of them in their natural setting:


--
bonus vocab:
ろれつが回らない is slurring (like a drunk), and ironically hard to say especially if conjugated.
発 seems to be a counter for jokes.
--
[*] Oh crap, not only have I never seen a blue form, but I have a feeling I may have to file one this year! I hate being an expat sometimes!

1 comment:

  1. I know he initially blamed cold medication, but later grilling by the Diet revealed that he had drunk something before the meeting. WHAT he drank and how much is still very much uncertain (NHK showed him evading these questions with double talk) but he was definitely sauced in Rome.

    Personally, I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did. Even if it was medication, to show up at a press conference in that state shows tremendously poor judgment. Aso should have told him to hit the road as soon as he got off the plane.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.