January 26, 2009

Obama's Speeches are a Best Selling Source of (I Hope) English Interest


The English teacher in me is well please that a lot of my students, nay, a lot of Japanese people everywhere are buying books about Barrack Obama. Not just his own books, but transcripts of his speeches, complete with translation. I hope they are actually reading the facing English pages.

I sent my students a link to iKnow recently, as my obsession with trying to get them to learn more than for an hour a week and study English grows all the time. Today I sent them a followup link to the iKnow lessons based on Obama's speeches. We'll see if any new terms get bandied about in class. Here's a link if you are curious.

If you would like to read up on the book phenomenon, well, I have a link for that too (MSNBC). I think that it is great so many people are getting interested in American politics over here; I just wish they would take some initiative locally too.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Obama gets a kickback? They are repackaging already existing content and making a huge bundle of cash off it, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does UUUHHHH translate well into Japanese?
    I see you have internet again!
    Mum

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.