December 4, 2008

Surprise Squid

I guess I didn't look hard enough at what I was buying. I just thought, hey 2 bucks for a few octopuses. Then I found the beaks. And the extra limbs. And the tendency to pop out purple slime.
I guess even I, epicure of weird foods, can still be taken by surprise pretty regularly in this country. Raw squid is something I've somehow not had yet; it seems different from the white ones at restaurants that still move. Perhaps one is a cuttlefish and the other a squid?

Needless to say, I ended up throwing away a lot of too-gross-to-eat bits.

4 comments:

  1. Dude, the too-gross-to-eat bits are the best part. Just cut them into strips and mix a bunch of salt in. Goes good on rice, or with sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wash them up good, coat them with tempura and salt and pepper and fry them! I remember once when you were little and we were in Greece we bought some from a street vender and you opened your mouth like a little bird and gobbled those lovely legs down while dad and I ate the body! You didn't even know you were being tricked!
    Love you!
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did it with fried mushrooms and tangy noodle soup too, you were cute and not at all retarded, just think of yourself as someone from the south who will eat anything as long as it is battered and fried!
    Do you remember Greece? You were pretty young, 5 or 6.
    Mum

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.