November 19, 2008

The Scottish Play Becomes The Japanese Play

Note on the title: It is bad luck for actors to mention the play MacBeth by name, so "The Scottish Play" is what they use instead. People who have perused my wishlist may have noticed that I like the Immortal Bard, and I have fond memories of seeing Romeo and Juliet adapted to an early American Spanish colony setting, so I was happy to hear that MacBeth has gotten the Japanese treatment:

All of the story and most of the original language are present, although John R. Briggs' adaptation throws in generous amounts of Japanese references that prove only occasionally jarring. (A handy glossary of words and place names is provided in the program.)

The three witches have thus become three "yojos," whose incantations are delivered in kabuki-like fashion. And when Shogun Macbeth (Kaipo Schwab) sends his assassins to murder Banquo (Ariel Estrada), they are, of course, samurai warriors.

Pretty cool. More info at the original article. Also, info on the theater/production group here.

[via One Big Japan]

3 comments:

  1. You've never seen the Kurosawa film Throne of Blood? It's a samurai-setting based on Macbeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of the movie, as it turns out. I've even heard of Kurosawa. ;)
    This seems to be quite a different affair. First off, its a play, in English, with kabuki stylings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize it was in English. I wonder if it appeals to more people these days with a Japanese flavor.

    I've always been around Shakespearean theater since I was a young lad - My aunt is a make-up and costume designer (now teaching at Berkley theater), and I used to stay with her during the summers when they put on Summer Shakespeare plays out door up in Northern California. I've always liked fresh ideas incorporated into Shakespeare plays, and although it wasn't necessarily a huge success, I really like the 1996 Romeo + Juliet film with Leonardo DiCaprio that takes place in Venice Beach, California. (Think someone will use the same setting for a remake of the Merchant of Venice, too?)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.