August 29, 2008

First Private English Lesson

I just taught my first lesson. I could tell from the English used in emails what the woman would be like. It's kind of scary that I can tell someone's background this way just by what kind of broken English they use. Anyways, as I thought, it was a woman retiree who has a habit of learning English just cause, and not really to improve it. But I hope to change that; I would feel pretty guilty if our lessons have no impact on her abilities. She has studied for 7 years at a community center, and is still a bare beginner. Her latest teacher is a Peruvian that speaks English as a second language. So, as you can imagine, we have a long ways to go. I tried to have her read a small section of text (you can see what kind of site I found it on in my shared items today). That didn't work so well; she could hardly read the normal size font, and the words were a few syllables too long for her. I'll have to plan for that sort of thing in the future. She seemed resistant to this kind of book learnin' over all; being at a rather content stage that is probably no different than 7 years ago. I want to see if I can coax her out of her shell.
This is all pretty fascinating to me so far. Next week, I start group classes of old people, half of whom will be like this.
Oh yeah, and I don't know if it will happen every time, but she bought me lunch. Nice! Speaking of food, I bought a convection stove (just one burner but I have an American electric water boiler too so...) and it is fast! I cooked an egg in about 45 seconds this morning (faster than my gas range ever was). Glad I bought it. Maybe with a little more money, I can think about a fridge...

5 comments:

  1. Hey, popped over from Japan in Motion with the write up about your blog! Interesting to hear your take on the private English lessons- I have to say though that you will probably get lunch or a coffee or some kind of present EVERY time! I swear I never had to cook on the nights I taught after work cos I always got random Japanese goodies to take home!

    You have some great Japanese language links too- makes me think I should actually start studying again although I know I am probably too lazy. Have to take 1kyu sometime though I suppose!

    Have you tried a recycle shop or chukoya-san for a used fridge? Got some pretty good deals sometimes although you will probably have to carry it home yourself so best to go somewhere local!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am torn between a larger, cheaper used fridge and a smaller new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that things are working out for you Clay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the pain of being an English teacher in Japan because I also teach English in Japan.
    Sounds like you are enjoying it. It is always an adventure.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.