May 2, 2008

Pusan from Fukuoka: Should I stay or should I go now?

Not a calendar person. I can't emphasize that enough if I say it eight days a week. So Golden Week has once again caught me off guard. I may be able to manage passage on a ferry to Korea, even now, but have no idea if I will find things like lodging and food that doesn't bark (the rest of the country's food looks pretty good though).
And then there is the dumb cat. Dumb cat got a leg gash and has to be given medicine. Old man takes off dumb cat's no-lick satellite dish collar. I lecture old man. Old man doesn't believe me. Old man is untrustworthy substitute human. Simple present-tense sentences come out of keyboard. So can I find someone to take care of this cat? This is basically my last chance to go on vacation for a long time what with the move coming up.
My other options include a major study holiday. So many books to get through. Not just textbooks, but manga and novels. Maurice gave me about 50 manga volumes. My aunt bought me an entire Yu Miri collection of novels. I could turn off the internet and just study for five days. I could. Will I?
One last nagging thought: Wii Fit will yell at me when I get back.

6 comments:

  1. Before coming to Japan I lived near Seoul for one year and took a bus to Pusan and rode the ferry to Fukuoka (I think it was the Hakata port or something like that). As for lodging, plenty of love hotels in Korea, similar to Japan, quite cheap, gaudy and frequent. Otherwise, you can just go to a "PC Bang," or "PC room" and pay about 100 yen per hour and rest your eyes for 5 or 6 hours in front of a computer.

    Food is everywhere and cheaper than Japan (and damn spicy). My only concern would be the language. Being an American who was studying Japanese, I got a lot of strange comments and disapproving comments as well. However, Korea is a great place to visit and definitely worth checking out. Hangul is cool, too and very learnable in a short amount of time.

    Happy Golden Week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should become a study hermit. That's what I would do. I'd be so worried about the cat too.

    Plus, Pusan's going to be full of Japanese tourists, it'll kind of kick your ass.

    Take a sneaky four day weekend some time in the future and go then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Laura has been influencial voice this time. That and the hostel I enquired at was full of tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do it dude!

    when i lived in fukuoka last year, i had a weekend off, so i booked the ticket and went to busan from thurs to saturday - it was great!
    beetle tix costed about 2万円 and my 激安lodging was only about 1,500円. if you go, you have to go to
    'kimba chongul' or 'kimba heaven'. its like 3.50yen a plate.
    my pics are up here if you're interested
    http://picasaweb.google.com/picturesfromkayne/

    peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it would be cheaper to fly to Korea from Haneda airport once you live up in that vicinity. You can never go wrong with studying, especially when it comes to a foreign language.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps it would be cheaper to fly to Korea if you fly out of Haneda airport which is closer to your next destination. There is nothing wrong with a study holiday, especially when it comes to a foreign language. But don't you study daily anyway?

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.