February 5, 2008

Rubber noses make furrowed brows


There may be some among you that have found my shared items on my blog, powered by Google Reader. It's a beautiful thing, this monolithic Google letting me share all kinds of weirdness, but what I'm trying to say is this: Don't judge me by what I share, if you can. I don't share just the items that I think are cool, but what I think will get people thinking or even yelling. Case in point: A Daily Portal Z article in which a Japanese man basically puts on black face to look like presidential hopeful (that may change by tomorrow) Barrack Obama. Oh and he has a big rubber gaijin nose too.
I'm a little conflicted; I like Daily Portal Z and I think this thing gets funny at times. Especially when Hillary shows up in the article. Then there is the politically-correct, and dare I say oppressed at times, foreigner side to me that always feels its a bad idea to paint yourself up like a black man, or a white woman for that matter. Then yet again, this could be political satire so sophisticated it goes over my head.
So yeah it's in my shared items. But I am ambivalent about it. Which is probably more than I can say for the people involved.

3 comments:

  1. Political correctness can indeed be a little irritating to adhere to or see the extents that people will go to sometimes, it's true. However, this thing the Japanese have with foreigner satire, I find to be only mildly funny at best, but usually extremely offensive and ignorant.
    I can understand to an extent why they think it's so funny to see people dressed up as an ethnic stereotype, slap on a big gaijin nose and then mock chopstick use on television (I saw that a few months back and was horrified).

    It's funny to them becaus they don't know any better.
    They don't have the same history of slavery and terrible racial intolerance and discrimination of black people and of foreigners as we do in America. Yes, much of Japan and the government discriminate against all foreigners (some more than others) they and don't like to talk about the Ainu, but it's not the same.
    To most, there is absolutely nothing wrong with displaying a shiny new copy of 'Little Black Sambo' in a Youme town shop. It's just beyond the comprehension of most of the public, because unless they've really studied and understand those aspects of American history, they just can't understand. They have nothing like it on their own radar.

    Plus, they have gaijin idiots on TV reinforcing the stereotypes they have of foreigners. We have idiot white guys gesturing wildly and talking loudly on purpose, and that guy Bobby (I can't stand him), pulling stupid faces and doing his best to act like the stereotype of a black, which is even worse than that for white people! This is why they still think it's okay, because many of our own are still going with it!

    We used to think putting on black face in our own country was hilarious, but we've learned that it's very wrong, and perhaps Japan will as well, eventually.
    Sorry for practically writing an entry in your comments section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not in the least conflicted.

    It's ignorant and offensive and shows a complete lack of sensitivity or understanding of the surrounding issues. Many - not all - Japanese are clueless about race issues, and attitudes are reinforced at the institutional level.

    By way of example, how about the African American gentleman who was thrown out of an opticians in Osaka because the owner had a "negative impression" of blacks.

    That disgraceful and inexcusable behavior was condoned and upheld by a decision made in a Japanese court of law!

    And now we have this ridiculous fingerprinting of foreigners entering Japan - even long time residents - in the name of reducing terrorism and crime. Never mind that the last terrorist attack in Japan, ten years ago, was perpetrated by Japanese themselves! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel resentment towards people that make fun on Japanese and other Asian culture with buck teeth and broken English. Because it's not true. So wit me knowing that's wrong as a Black man why wouldn't Japanese men think it's ok.


    Comedy is fine but there is very little honor in this.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.