February 22, 2008

Fight!

So a teacher ran to the window and said, "○-kun is in a fight!" We all rushed to the gym. I expected two boys to be fighting, but it was a bunch of boys holding one back from attacking no one in particular. Then it was the teacher's turn to hold him back as the students were told to go prepare lunch. He slipped out of their grip and I grabbed him, telling him in English to calm down. Then back to the normal teachers.

After that I went to go guard the door, with an odd amount of adrenaline in my system, making my legs quiver a little. The student was still kicking around and saying, "Let me go, damn it!" while crying. It reminded me of the Japanese movies I've seen. Later I told the teachers how that usually doesn't happen in American school fights. The kids get broken up and calm down fairly fast when a teacher shows up, unless they're crazy.

Later I handed the kid his slippers and gave him a there-there pat on the back.

Your word for the day is バイキング which does not mean one of those Norse guys wearing a pointy helmet, but rather buffet. 喧嘩の後、○くんが僕の側に座った。そしてバイキングの食べ物を膨れっ面をしたまま彼と一緒に食べた。

8 comments:

  1. In my memories of school fights back in the day, the kids would do anything but calmly back down when a teacher showed up. In fact, I've seen a couple teachers accidentally slugged in the face, and one got in the way of a flying chair. I guess where I'm from, the kids who fight ARE crazy, and usually scream all down the hall as they're being dragged away. Is it different in the wild west?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard our assistant principal got herself punched for stepping into a fight once, but the girl that did it WAS crazy. But I gotta admit I haven't seen that many fights.
    However, I think crying and slamming yourself for 15 minutes after everyone else has left is odd. And like I said, nobody in particular was fighting with this kid. So the whole thing just felt different from America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an interesting experience. Did anyone ever figure out why he was thrashing 'bout like that?

    Viking means buffet?? o.O

    ReplyDelete
  4. guessing there is a connection between Swiss (Norse) and smörgåsbord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's rather a disappointing end to that anecdote.

    Viking meals tend to be rather crappy - least here in Shikoku when you go to the tabehoudai/nomihoudai events. The only time the viking meals have lived up to their name (in my experience) have been in nice resort-y places up in Hokkaido, where we were offered everything short of a skinned seal. T'was marvelous. (and fattening.) Oh I how miss the chocolate fountain and unlimited strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nah, I didn't find it dissapointing; I was happy he decided to sit next to me of his own accord and eat with me after I was one of the ones held him back, even if he was sulking. Later he explained something a girl was asking me and tried to imitate my "cool" pose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if maybe my sentence implied I was sulking too, so I made it more clear! Happy ending, mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From where I come from the teachers just called the cops. Or the school security guards came. At least we didn't have metal detectors at our school, even though some idiots did bring their guns to school (they got expelled, obviously). And two students got shot and killed. Oh, you gotta love America.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.