September 28, 2005

Unforeseen transition from butt to mouth

"It must be beautiful future that people do not have to work while ROBOT work for them."--some Japanese guy in the Jref forum.

today's discovery: Be it on the head, arm or knuckles, gaijin hair fascinates elementary students and they are instantly compelled to pet it.
I got the dreaded koncho today (definition and description here), but it was a more of the let's-test-your-butt variety, and so it didn't hurt. I immediately turned around and tried to say "dame yo", but I messed up, so I said it one more time clearly, to get the message across.
Hopefully the kid will take me seriously, but I think it's hard to take me seriously because I grin so dang much. I don't even realize I'm grinning or smirking the vast majority of the time. I recall giving a crazy bum a ride once with Ben's cousin and before the bum went off into the night, he warned her that I was "too quick to grin."

The advantage of grinning so much: I think it adds to my ultra-forgivable status. People have developed counter-methods to combat this, such as refusing to meet me in person when they are upset with me.
--
Small photo dump
The cameraman that filmed me for cable tv

View of the town

Angry sea

Froggy w/pinky to show how small it is.

I'm surprised this is the only pseudo kanji I've seen in a country that is famous for adapting things from other cultures. The Japanese person I was with posited that it means tear (泣).

7 comments:

  1. It's gotten to this point because nearly a month has passed and there has been no effort on her part to maintain the friendship she seemed to want so badly. I've been in this boat before: "Let's just be friends," and then silence. I don't want to go through it again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, okay. Btw, you can tell me on your blog. It's a bit confusing for people that read my blog to see a non-sequeteur comment like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kawaii!!!! Send me a frog!!! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  4. steph: I'll just squash one, put it in an evelope and send it along, kay? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Koncho, huh? I'll have to remember that...

    *teehee!*

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.