September 2, 2005

First day of class (finally)

Okay! Things were fun today as I finally got to teach! Holy crap, it was hot. Holy crap I was sweaty. Holy crap I and the kids mutually slimed each other with sweat when we shook hands.
The children were asked to write down three questions, in English, for me to answer. I got so many "How tall are you?" queries that it was maddening. And more than a few, "do you have a girfriend?" "Do you like Ms. Sato?" and "Which girl do you think is the prettiest in this class?" questions. I answered as diplomatically as possible.
Today I taught the English teacher the words azure, icky, and diaphanous.
--
In a follow-up to the last post, I must document that me and my supervisor tried to go over the joke one more time with no success. Then I did this one as a case study:
me: What's this? *rapidly traces the top half of an invisible circle with finger, bouncing back and forth*
coworkers: ...
me: The top half of this. *traces bottom half of the circle.*
I tried to explain how it is so simple, so stupid, that it is humorous. No comprehension on their end. I'll try again next year.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Clay,

    The new look is awesome.

    It looks like most of the trouble with your random phrases is that Javascript strings must either begin and end with a " or a '. You must use one of the other, if that character occurs in between then you should escape it by placing a \ in front of the character.

    Some of the other bits are a bit bizzare. If you could insert "debugger;" just before the array of random quotes, I could take a closer look. But don't do it unless we've agreed upon a time for looking (it gives everyone else quick and easy access to the javascript on your site). Until then, I'll give it some thought. You probably need to use unicode for the special characters or something.

    Otherwise, glad to read you are doing well (albeit a bit sticky/sweaty). But you know what they say, about not sweating the petty stuff, nor petting the sweaty stuff (shaking hands is ok though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. the \ solution works on apostrophies, but special characters are still being a pain.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.